On the 17th of August, I went to Orientation Day to give a tout to the new students. I met Joan, Chuck and Sujay there. We thought this was what we had signed up for before the summer holidays, but it wasn't. And we weren't even sure if we had officially signed up for Orientation Day because our names weren't on the paper. But when our group came, Chuck immediately took control and started leading the new students. We weren't really allowed to speak much, but I guess we didn't try hard enough either. I was happy to see Sujay again before he leaves Belgium.
During the tour, we lost half our our group and once it was done, the rest immediately left. Only a boy called Nick and a mother stayed to ask a few questions. I don't think anyone liked the tour very much...
Today, I went to the event I actually had signed up for; the Kick Off Fiesta. I arrived a bit late because of the train, but I soon found Joan, Sana, Chuck, Thais and Madeleine at the face painting stand. Unfortunately, there were no clients yet. I also saw Trishna and her new friend Kelly. After a while a few children arrived, but Sana, Thais and Madeleine took care of them. To pass the time, Chuck decided to paint a huge red star on my face, which I erased once he was finished.
Second try; a magician's hat with some cards coming out of it. I also removed this one.
He begged me to give him a last chance, so I let him paint some cards on my cheek (he really liked the magic theme). Unsatisfied by the outcome, he painted over all the cards with black, and I therefore removed that form my face as well. Joan was taking pictures of Chuck's "masterpieces" with disapproving eyes, and we all looked with jealousy at Sana's pretty butterflies on happy children.
Then I decided to paint something nice on one of us to advertise our stand a bit, and Chuck requested to be a mime. He didn't seem to like the outcome much...
I believe it was okay, and I hope he hasn't removed it yet. The nices part about it was that every single child who saw him smiled and pointed at him to show their parents there was a clown present. I'm not sure if that helped advertising for the stand, though.
I haven't painted on anyone else's face today, and I even had to leave early... Maybe I scare away children? This all reminds me of International Day :) At least I got some clients back then...
No comments:
Post a Comment