(Written 14-09-10)
I'm still going to my Japanese lesson every Tuesday, and I always come out smiling! I really enjoy it :)
Today I learned more about verbs. Their is something called the "-te form", which is very useful because that form of the verb with some other word(s) create forms like the imperative or "please..."
For example, to say "please wait", I would think like this.
The verb "to wait" is machimasu. I remove -masu (machi being the root of the verb) and make it to the -te form. Machimasu being and exception, I don't just add -te but have to remove -chi as well, to make matte. To be really precise, the character for chi isn't really removed, but made "smaller". The little chi shows that matte will be said with a small pause before the -tte, and is not actually said.
Now, to matte I just need to add "kudasai", which means "please". Therefore, "matte kudasai" means "please wait".
I hope that wasn't too confusing! It's good for me to write out how it works :D
No comments:
Post a Comment