Search This Blog

Sunday, November 27, 2011

(12-11-11) Ecology Project

I haven't done an Ecology project since a really long time, so this was actually a lot of fun! Anna and Joan had also signed up, but they didn't come for one reason or another. Luckily, Liam also came!
We had both done an Ecology project before, so we knew what we had to do. We even got to "teach" the 11th graders how to do things once in a while, as they hadn't done this work before. They were all students I had never talked to before, so I was glad I got to know them a bit. Now we even say hi to each other at school, which is nice.
I have to say I worked very hard for this ecology project. I was extremely tired in the end, because Liam and I tried to pull the very big American cherry trees out. The roots spread both horizontal and vertically, making it quite a challenging task to take them out of the earth. Sometimes we had to dig with our shovels, pull, dig with our hands, pull, dig some more... just to break a root and have to dig more to find it! Needless to say, we were both dirty and covered with scratches from thorns towards the end. We can say with pride though that we refrained from using Roundup (a weed killer) too often, as we did our best to get all the plants fully out instead of just chopping them down.
On top of learning a few things about these plants and how to handle them, this was also a very social activity for me, as previously mentioned. We all sung (and danced) together, talked about school and the horrors of the IB (Liam and I especially). It was nice to get to know a part of the school's community that I would probably never have spoken to without this Ecology project.

No comments:

Post a Comment