Search This Blog

Monday, November 28, 2011

(26-11-11) Ushering

I ushered with Joan at the the musical (Dracula Spectacular). It was nice because I got to see the musical, as my family didn't get any tickets. Watching the actors prepare beforehand and during the play gave me a bit of a nostalgic feeling, as I love being in plays. Sadly, I wasn't able to join this year due to all the work I have. Though I didn't really regret my decision, I was still a bit sad to not be part of the actors as they warmed up. It was like I knew what it was like to be part of them and felt like I belonged there, but at the same time it wasn't my rightful place to mingle with them.
Ushering was fun because I met a few students I didn't know yet, and also got to talk to a few I rarely see, like Geneva. Also, Liam unexpectedly came and helped us out, even though he didn't sign up for it.
Though I have ushered before, it was the first time I was at the doors of the theatre, greeting people and letting them know where their seats were. I admit I didn't do such a great job due to my timid nature, though I did my best and smiled all the time. Esther was next to me and she was so good at it, I felt a bit embarrassed being her senior but less capable than her!
The ushers were told to put makeup on their faces to look "scary", so I had fun at the start by making my face white (Esther helped me with that) and putting lots of black eyeliner around my eyes to look sleep deprived and evil, as well as some scars. I guess it was unexpected to have this little bit of "creativity" in this activity. While greeting people, I completely forgot that I looked "scary"... Now that I think about it, they must have thought it was weird for me to smile at them while looking so creepy. It explains some of the stares I got...

No comments:

Post a Comment